|Bloody-Nosed Beetle (Timarcha tenebricosa) out for a walk|
So, here are the facts:
|Looking for lunch - what's under here?|
- There's a reason why they are the largest Beetles I have ever seen. They are the largest Leaf Beetle in the whole of the UK.
- There has actually only been one sighting recorded around where I am, they are only really found in the South of England and the West of Wales.
- They are mostly seen between April and June but they can be found through to September as well.
- They are mostly active at night during these times and only move in the daytime when they are disturbed.
- When we found ours, two were on plants in the verges, and one was walking along the path. After taking his picture, we put him somewhere safe away from where people would be walking.
- They are found in Uplands, Coastal, Farmland, Grassland and Heath lands. This is weird as Titchwell is a Marsh, but it could technically be a Grassland as well.
|At last - tasty Goosegrass!|
- I said above that they are the largest Leaf Beetle in the UK. This is true and they have a rather specific length of 2 - 2.3 cm.
- They like to eat Goosegrass and Lady's Bedstraw both as Adults and as larvae.
Here are some links to more information:
|Hitching a lift to safety.|
Hope you enjoyed,