|White Lipped Banded Snail ( Cepaea hortensis)|
So, here are some snail facts:
- There is a particular type of snail called the Australian Trumpet which can grow to about 3 feet and can weigh 18kg. That's 5 male flamingos stacked on top of each other.
- Technically, the word snail means anything that have a shell that the animal can disappear completely into. This means some types of slug to.
- Strangely, they are used as cosmetics. From the Helix aspersa snail, skin creams for wrinkles, scars, dry skin and acne are derived.
- The snail I have got pictures of here is the White-Lipped Banded Snail which usually grow to about an inch.
- They can be found in Central Europe and Western Europe but this range close to the Arctic and Northern Europe.
- Some snails hibernate for a small part of the year, just like this one. It is seen from March to October and for the rest of the year is sleeps.
- Snails have a relatively long life. Some live for about 5 years, which is still pretty long, while some can live for an amazing 25 years!
|It was wresting with a bit of bark|
- This type of snail together with some other land snails uses a special tool during mating called a love dart! It's very complicated (from what I read) but snails stab their partners (nice!) with the love dart to increase their chances of getting offspring.
- This snail can be active in the day when it's damp and mild other wise it finds a sheltered place to rest.
- White lipped banded snails prefer to eat nettles, ragwort and hogweed.
- You will find this snail in most parts of England, Scotland and Wales as well as some parts of Ireland.
|It won in the end!|
Here are some links to more information:
Hope you enjoyed,