Thursday 11 June 2015

Day 220 - Lovely Lively Large Red Damselfly

Hey everyone, its Day 220 and I have another lovely colourful creature here from the local forest I spend a lot of time walking in. It's one of our favourite local walks just on the edge of the North York Moors. I've seen all sorts of things in the forest including yesterdays White Lipped Banded Snail, the Green Tiger Beetle, it's where I got photo's of the Green Veined White Butterfly and where I'm watching a little pool of tadpoles carefully to be sure they don't dry out (they are hanging in there everyone). There's a few species I haven't covered yet including Adders and there's a funny story about my first encounter with an Adder when I can get a decent photo!
Large Red Damselfly ( Pyrrhosoma nymphula )

Well today I'm covering a colourful little insect that I saw the other day, it was lovely but quite lively as it wouldn't stay still at first, but I followed it for a while until it settled nicely enough to get a few shots of. Today I'm looking at a Large Red Damselfly. So here are some facts I found:

  • They tend to live around water at the edges of ponds or lakes or near ditches but are also seen in grassland and woodland.
  • They are one of the earliest Damselfly's to emerge in the UK and you can see them between April and August.
  • They are quite territorial and males will chase off others from their territories.
  • Apparently the larvae are also territorial! 
    From above
  • They are a medium sized damselfly and have a wingspan of around 48mm and are around 36mm long.
  • They are found across most of the UK.
  • Their diet is insects which they find on vegetation.
  • The male Large Red Damselfly's are mainly red with a black Thorax and some black bands at the end of it's tail. Females vary but have more black on them. I think this one is a female.
  • It takes them two years to complete their life-cycle. They emerge in the spring and live for about 40 days as adults in which time they mate and lay eggs. The eggs hatch and develop into larvae or nymphs. They then over winter in this state and emerge the next year as adults.
    Resting on the grass
  • If they are disturbed they can play dead to try and avoid predation!
Well, I enjoyed finding out about these lovely creatures and I'm looking forward to seeing more of them through the summer. If you want to find out more try these sites:




Hope you enjoyed, 

Z.

1 comment: