Saturday 1 August 2015

Day 271 - Delightfully Awesome and Magnificent Dark Arches Moth

Dark Arches Moth (Apamea monoglypha)
Hey everyone today's Day 271 and I today I am looking a bit closer to home than yesterday. I know that I said I wouldn't get chance to do them everyday because I'm on holiday, but I thought that because I had some time in the morning while Dad packed the car up, I should do one. like I said I am looking closer to home today as I found this Moth underneath a piece of wood in the garden. I was very surprised it didn't fly off straight away, but instead it was quite happy to stay on the wood long enough for me to get my camera and get some nice shots.  From the title and the pictures you'll know that I am talking about the Dark Arches Moth.

So, here are the facts:
A moths eye view.
  • The Moth itself is brown with Dark Arches at the back of its wings. It's this that gives it its name.
  • The Pupa is bright red all over, which is hard to miss. The caterpillar is Green with several Black dots on each one of its 'segments'.
  • It looks like I will be seeing quite a lot of them this week in Norfolk as they seem to be very successful there. They're a little less common everywhere else, though...
  • ...They're not very common in Ireland or West Scotland, they're pretty widespread in South-West England but definitely not as common as East Anglia.
  • They have a wingspan of 45mm - 55mm and ones with Melanism (completely Black ones) are seen frequently.
  • They can be seen flying between July and August including, and later broods are seen between September and October in the South of England.
Got a shot with wings open a bit when
I moved it to a new home
  • It is a Night-Flying Moth but it can be disturbed in the day. It is attracted to light making it a regular visitor to late-Summer Moth-Traps.
  • This species is found in all of Europe apart from Greece. It is also found parts of Asia, it's even found in the Alps up to 2,500 metres.
  • From what I can find the larvae feed on a variety of grasses.
Here are some links to some more information:




Hope you enjoyed,

Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment