Saturday 27 December 2014

Day 56 - The Third Day of Nature

3 Brown Chickens at our old
allotments.
On the Third Day of Nature my true love gave to me, 3 Brown Chickens, 2 Collared Doves and a Partridge on a board walk.

Hi all today's Day 56 or the Third Day of Christmas. On Day 54 I explained that it was the First Day of Christmas and how I am doing my own version of the 12 Days of Christmas. I call it 'The 12 Days of Nature'. The 3rd verse of the original song goes like this. On the Third Day of Christmas my true love gave to me, 3 French Hens, Two Turtle Doves and a Partridge in a Pear Tree. My version, as you can see at the top, is as follows. On the Third Day of Nature my true love gave to me, 3 Brown
Chickens, 2 Collared Doves and a Partridge in a Pear Tree. Anyway if you haven't noticed the new line includes 3 Brown Chickens. So here are some facts about these domesticated and previously wild animals.

  • Chickens have their own complex communication that have specific meanings. That's a language to you and me. Some of their words include warnings to their friends or telling their mothers whether they're comfortable or not.
  • Chickens can remember more than 100 faces of their own species! This is just less than the amount that elephants can remember!
  • Chickens have full colour vision. Most humans have that!
  • Whenever someone calls you a chicken as an insult they are actually complimenting you. Why? Because chickens actually defend their young from predators. Next time someone calls you a chicken, you know what to say!
  • Wild chickens lay only 10 to 15 eggs a year. Chickens that are included in industry lay eggs daily.
  • Chickens are the closest living relative to the T.rex. The next time someone asks you the question 'what came first, the chicken or the egg?' you know the answer!
  • Chickens have something called 'object permanence'. This is an ability to know something is still there even though it is hidden. Even young children don't have this ability.
So there we are, you now know that chickens are. in some ways. as smart or even more smart than elephants and young children.

Here are some links to some more information:



Hope you enjoyed,

Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment