Saturday 3 October 2015

Day 324 - Superbly Silver Y-Moths

Silver Y Moth (Autographa gamma)
Hey everyone today's Day 324 and as you all know I volunteered at Nosterfield for their first ever open day. Dad and I were put on the Moth trapping which helped me out with my blog so much! It's also meant that I have learnt an incredible amount about moths. Whilst we saw quite a few species, around 70 that day, there are still many more to find. Nosterfield has recorded over 500 species now but an incredible 2400 species have been recorded in the UK.

Today's title will be quite confusing as it says Superbly Silver Y-Moth. Now what I actually mean is Super Silver Y-Moths. It's just a funny play on words. :-) So, yes today's post is on a Moth with one of my favourite colours in its name and also one of my favourite letters.

So, here are the facts:
A bugs eye view of one I found in our garden
  • Looking at the population map they are one of the most widespread moths that I ever seen in my blog.
  • That's quite a feat for an immigrant moth but they are the UK's most common immigrant moth.
  • They migrate from Europe usually in two waves one in the spring and the second in the late summer.
  • They are seen mostly in the South, but in the North and Scotland it gets less common. 
  • They are seen most commonly flying from April to October so we will be seeing the last of them for this year in a couple of weeks. :-(
Resting on a leaf at Nosterfield
  • The Wildlife Trust actually says that they are seen throughout the whole year, I'm guessing that's less commonly though.
  • From when they're seen to where they're seen, The Wildlife Trust state pretty much everywhere in the UK.
  • You probably will be wondering why they are called the Silver Y-Moth. Well, it's because on their brown back there is a Silver-Y.
  • For one of the first times ever, I will tell you what the adult life span is. Well, they are only seen for 3 to 4 weeks. :-(
Side view
  • The Larvae feed on nettle leaves and the adults eat nectar, the same as all Butterflies and Moths.
Here are some links to some more information:




Hope you enjoyed,

Z.

2 comments: