Sunday 18 October 2015

Day 338 - Terrifically Handsome The Herald

The Herald - Scoliopteryx libatrix
Hey everyone today's Day 338 and as you'll all know I went to Norfolk on holiday back in August. It is an incredible place to go, not just for wildlife, but for just normal holidaying. Today will be about nature though. I guess you were expecting that but you may not expect where I found today's species. I went to Titchwell Marsh RSPB Reserve but before I didn't even get onto the reserve, I found so many moths around the toilets block so the mini-series that I am starting is called the Titchwell Toilet Series! This particular one that I found is called The Herald Moth.

So, here are the facts:

  • Now, it seems logical to think that all of the Moths that I found in the Toilets at Titchwell will be attracted to light, as the lights were on during the night. I mean, why else would they be in there?
  • Well, another quality that they'll have to have is they'll a) have to be able to fly and b) have to fly at night, mostly.
  • All of these ring true for The Herald Moth, you can see them flying at night but they can be disturbed during the day, they fly and are attracted to light.
  • These are not the most common Moth that I have ever covered in my blog. But they do seem to be quite common in Ireland. 
  • Like all Moths I've covered as far as I remember, in the rest UK they are found most commonly in England getting less so the further North and West you go.
    This one was high up right near the ceiling so not
    much chance of different angles to get better shots.
  • They have a wingspan of a quite reasonable 40mm. I have covered bigger, yet I have also covered smaller ones too.
  • They aren't found in many habitats. They are apparently only seen in Broadleaf Woodlands and Gardens.
  • The adults are seen mostly on Ivy Blossom and ripe Blackberries.The caterpillars are only seen on Willow, Aspen and Poplar trees.
  • Now, as I said above, they are attracted to light, but they also seem to be attracted to sugar. So I am likening these today to a happy child. Likes light, loves sweets!
  • I saw this one in August but, as they overwinter as adults, they are one of the last moths you see in the year and also one of the first to be seen in spring.
Here are some links to some more information:



Hope you enjoyed,

Z.

2 comments:

  1. Another fine creature you've found and photographed very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely little moth, and some beautiful captures here Zach! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete