So, here are the facts:
- These Weevils will be found all around the UK, like most things that I have covered as well, they'll be found most in the South and less so in the North.
- In North America alone, there are over 1000 species of Weevils! That's an incredible amount for just one place.
- If you think yesterday's 9,000 species was a lot, then you're in for a shock. There are 60,000 different species of Weevil in the world!!
- These different species can range from a rather small 3mm to what's quite at large 1cm. They are usually just 6mm.
- The Weevils lay their eggs next to the host plant in Spring. When the eggs hatch, the larvae actually bury into the ground.
- Many of the larvae overwinter underground and emerge as adults the following Spring.
- Some species emerge in the Summer and will raid the homes of other Weevils for their shelter.
- The larvae will eat the roots of their host plant when they dig under but the adults like to feed on pretty much any crop.
Here are some links to some more information:
Hope you enjoyed,