Sunday 8 February 2015

Day 99 - A Nature Ramble at Super Stavely

Hi all today's Day 99 and today I went to Stavely Nature reserve.

It is a great nature reserve and I really enjoyed watching the birds (and rodents) feeding. Next to the feeders was a large lake. There were quite a lot of different birds there though nothing really unusual today. We did see some Greylag Geese, some Mallards, swans and tufted ducks. As well as these water birds I have also seen a bird I have never seen before. It was the Yellowhammer. Here's a list of what I saw, some of which I've covered others I will be returning to in future posts:
A lovely Yellowhammer
  • Water rails
  • Yellowhammers (I have never seen one of these before so I was very happy to see a group of them as I came up to the hide).
  • Coots
  • Great Tits
  • Greylag Geese
    Buzzard looking out from a tree.
  • A Magpie
  • Mallards
  • Moorhen
  • Mute Swans
  • Tree Sparrows
  • Tufted Ducks
  • Wigeon (though no American :-( See here why I mentioned that)
    A well fed rodent!
  • A Willow Tit
  • A Barn Owl
  • A Kestrel
  • A Buzzard
  • And finally, a Rat

As you can see, I saw quite a lot of birds today as well as a very fat rat. You could see that it was there daily from its sheer bulk. ;-)

As well as seeing lots of wildlife I also saw some neolithic stones called The Devil's Arrows. They are pretty big The smallest being 18 feet tall and the highest being 22.5 feet tall... That's 5 times the size of me. You can see that in the picture below:

Anyway. There aren't really any links I can do apart from the Stavely Reserve website:
Me next to the largest of the Devils Arrows
an almost 5,000 year old monolith!


Hope you enjoyed,

Z.

1 comment:

  1. Staveley is a top reserve, had brilliant views of Water Rail, Otters and Barn Owls all around that area

    ReplyDelete