|Grey Partridge (Perdix perdix)|
So, here are the facts:
- The Partridge actually lays the most eggs in a clutch in the world. In Britain it lays, on average, 14-15 eggs but in Finland the average clutch is 19!
|You can see here how easy it can hide in the grass, or can you/|
- I say Partridge as this bird was always called the Partridge until the Red-Legged Partridge was introduced. After this it started to get called the Grey Partridge.
- Still on the subject of eggs, they are usually 36mm x 27mm and normally weigh 3.6% of the adult at 14.1 grams.
- In Britain the average Grey Partridge will raise 5.8 birds to breeding age. I hope that it's not though. Can I have the extra 0.2 please? :`(
- They can be found in a lot of Countries, most of Europe, Russia, and some of Asia, such as China and Azerbaijan (I love that name!).
- They like to live in farmland or at the edges of woods and nest at the base of hedges making a scrape in the ground and lining it with grass and leaves. Adults eat grain, grass and clover so they like cereal fields.
- If a bird has 43,000 breeding territories in the UK and in Europe around 1.6 million breeding pairs, what Status would you say the bird was?
- Well in this case, RED, this is because there has been a rather large population decline over the last 25 years, as much as 85%. This is probably due to loss of habitat due to modern farming methods which have larger fields and have destroyed a lot of hedgerows.
- And on the subject of food they make a handy sized meal for predators such as Foxes and Goshawks.
- Hunting, well shooting, is another factor. Red Legged Partridge are reared for shooting and the shooters can't always tell the difference!
- So it seems altogether they aren't having a good time in Britain :-(
- They are not found in Cornwall, North and South Ireland (but they rare found in the middle) as well as Wales, North and West Scotland.
- They are 30cm long with a 46cm wingspan. Both Males and Females weigh 390g. Their ring size is E*.
Here are some links to some more information:
Hope you enjoyed,